He then found this blog and canceled the checks (AWESOME!)
Doug is still ripping people off from the same place (1229 10th street NW Unit #1), using craigslist ads. (I flagged the current one, which is reproduced below.)
The police are doing nothing.
Is there no justice in this world?
Here's his story:
I contacted Doug via email on 10/5 with the following:
Your place looks perfect for my needs. The only problem is that I'm looking to rent Jan 15 through the end of May. Is there any chance you would consider that? I'm a 24 year old student at Georgetown Law. Very clean, responsible, and outgoing.
I received a response (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 10/6 with the following (typos are his, not mine):
Actually thqat copuld work well. Please give me a call to discuss.
I took a bus up from new york city on 10/7 and met Doug around 4:15pm at "his" "house" (1229 10th Street NW, #1, Washington DC, 20001).
He invited me in and showed me around. The place looked really great. We talked for about 20-30 minutes and he seemed like a very laid back and genuine person. There were a few things that were odd about our conversation:
- The place smelled like smoke. When I asked him if he smoked he said that the guy who just moved out last week smoked inside the last few weeks he was there. He said he would have the air vents flushed and the filters changed to get the smell out.
- The place was extremely clean as if no one had been living there. The only thing that wasn't clean was a desk that it appeared someone had been working off of.
- He kept saying how perfect it was that I wanted to move in sometime in January (instead of November) so that he could have a break from having a roommate.
- He had no lease and said it wasn't a big deal. That he would email me one so that we could do a month-to-month lease.
- When I asked for his last name to write the check he said "Kohler, just like the appliance manufacturer." After asking if he was related, he told me his grandfather owns the company (probably BS).
- He gave me this whole story about how he used to be a body builder and that he was Mr. DC and Mr. Maryland, blah blah blah.
$1000 Room with Bath in Contemporary Urban Home - Flexible Lease. (nw/dc)[link]
Date: 2008-10-05, 5:23PM EDT
Furnished room (can be unfurnished) with large private bath available for rent in an upscale urban home. 2 bdr, 2.5 Baths, LR, DR, Large Kitchen, Den, Patio, Backyard.
Contemporary furnishings, all amenities and utilities included (Water, Gas, Power, Trash, Internet, Cable), great location and neighbors, security system.
Located in Northwest between Logan and Mt. Vernon. 1 block from the yellow/green Metro line and 4 blocks from the red line. Close to shopping, dining, entertainment and business.
Room Available Nov.1 (Small possibility of sooner). 1 month security deposit and first month rent required to hold the space.
Me: Single/divorced Male professional, late 30's.
Please contact me with questions, photos or to set an appointment to view.